Monday, January 26, 2009

Tao

A feel like today might be a good day to share with you a quote from the Tao te Ching. It is a Chinese philosophical writing believed to be older then 2000-years old. The 57th chapter can easily be interpreted as a suggestive portrayal on how one would govern (not-govern) with the aid of the Tao. When Swedish police focuses on arresting small time consumers of narcotics who happen to be musicians or writers; this is the chapter I come to think of.

"I let go of the law,
and people become honest.
I let go of economics,
and people become prosperous.
I let go of religion,
and people become serene.
I let go of all desire for the common good,
and the good becomes common as grass."


I own an edition as interpreted to Swedish by Stefan Stenudd, which I warmly recommend. There is also an English translation published online translated by anthropologist Stephen Mitchell.

2 comments:

Leon1234 said...

Hey, how are you doing? I love these kinds of posts. Thank you for sharing.

Suecae Sounds said...

Thanks Leon for your kind compliment and for stopping by. I see that you are quite a productive writer. I'll be sure to check out your blog(s). :)

I'm also doing fine, thanks for asking!